The normal AoE opener (3+ targets) is similar, but now we weave in Multi-Shots to proc Trickshots.
(Precast) HM > (Precast) TS > Multi > AiS > Multi > AiS > Multi > RF
Continue to alternate between Multi-Shot and Aimed Shot/Rapid Fire. Make sure to prioritize Aimed Shots during Trueshot. Only use a single Multi-Shot to proc Trickshots if an Aimed Shot or Rapid Fire is available. If an Aimed Shot nor Rapid Fire is available, cast Multi-Shots to dump focus or Steady Shots to gain focus.
Outside of the opener, your AoE priority you should be as follows.
- Apply Hunter’s Mark to your primary target, prior to when the encounter starts or if it will survive longer than 10 sec.
- Cast Multi-Shot to apply Trick Shots if you do not have Trick Shots active AND there are 3 or more targets in range of your Multi-Shot.
- Cast Aimed Shot if within the Careful Aim window OR if you will cap on charges.
- Cast Rapid Fire.
- Cast Multi-Shot to dump all charges of Precise Shots.
- Cast Aimed Shot.
- Cast Multi-Shot to dump excess Focus if both Aimed Shot and Rapid Fire are on cooldown AND you have more than 70 Focus.
- Cast Steady Shot to generate Focus.
Marksmanship’s form of AoE is Trickshots. Every time your Multi-Shot hits 3 or more targets, your next Aimed Shot or Rapid fire spreads up to 5 additional targets. While this seems pretty intuitive, there are a couple of things to think about when AoE’ing.
- Trickshots deals normal damage to your primary target, but each additional target takes 50% damage. Any on-hit effects or stat procs will also be applied to the additional targets, just at 50% of the damage. Take this into consideration when you need priority target damage.
- When Trickshots is applied to Aimed Shot, each Aimed Shot is recognized as its own unique shot. Each Aimed Shot has its own chance to critically strike. Likewise, each Aimed Shot will calculate Careful Aim on an individual basis once it reaches the target.
- Trickshots is a buff on yourself, and lasts for 20 seconds. Use this to your advantage. If mobs are dying, it may be worth to carry over Trickshots into the next pack to take advantage of Careful Aim.
Marksman Hunter specializes in single target and mid-range AoE. We also excel in high mobility situations. Our weak points are supposed to be mass AoE. Because of this, Marksmanship Hunters are one of the few classes in BFA with target capped AoE. Trickshots is capped at 6 targets (primary target plus 5 additional targets). Another caveat for Marmsmanship Hunter AoE, is that Trick Shots can only be activated after hitting 3 or more targets. Unfortunately, we don’t have too many solutions to combat these restrictions. Marksmanship Hunters are very weak when fighting against two targets, and fall off against more than 6 targets.
- In 2 target scenarios, simply perform your single target rotation on the more important add. We’re severely handicapped with two targets. Try to encourage your tank to always pull at least three targets for maximum efficiency.
- In 6+ target scenarios, simply AoE as normal. Luckily, we aren’t completely handicapped in mass AoE. While our primary AoE (Trickshots) is limited, our Multi-Shot does not have a target cap. Multi-Shots buffed by Precise Shots actually do a fair bit of damage and shouldn’t be forgotten about. We also have tools such as Focusing Iris which help to band-aid our mass AoE.